Tuesday, December 14, 2010

"Just Keep Clipping"

This is my shoutout to the maintenance crew at Ouachita.  Thanks for saving the day yesterday, and for your words of wisdom...storytime!

Yesterday, I was sitting on the couch in our living room. I was flipping through channels on the TV when all of a sudden I heard this "glub, glub, glub" sound coming from the sink in the kitchen. This was not a new sound for me, sometimes our sink just swallows some air and makes weird noises. However, I decided to check it out. When I got to the sinks (both kitchen and bathroom), they were filling with this aweful, black, stinky water. That's right, filling, and filling, and there was nothing I could do!

I ran to call our maintenance director so she could send help, and SHE DIDN'T ANSWER (both times). I finally ran to the cabinet to get a cup so that I could scoop water from the sink and dump it into the bathtub. With each scoop, I gagged and gagged...not pretty. When maintenance finally arrived, they sprang to action and stopped both sinks from filling with the nasty water. Everything was going to be okay...until one of the maintenance workers asked if I had gotten any of the water on my fingers. I told him that I had gotten just a little bit, but that I washed my hands quickly after. His warning was that there is a chemical in the water that could turn my nails brown.

I decided I was okay since I had washed them quickly and there acutally hadn't been a whole lot on them in the first place. Then he told me that if my nails started to curl up and start growing straight up, that I just needed to keep clipping them until they grew straight again. WHAT?!?! Yeah, he was not kidding. This chemical was going to make my nails turn brown and curly...and all he could say was "just keep clipping." This reminded me of Dori singing "just keep swimming" in Finding Nemo, however, maintenance's advice did not have the same joyful sing song feeling as Dori's advice to Marlin.

However, no brown curly nails here...looks like I washed them just in time. But thanks maintenance...for coming to the rescue, saving our sinks, and for the advice on my chemically stained nails! Merry Christmas!

And now, my version of the story in Christmas poem form:

'Twas the night before Tuesday when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even my spouse. 
The stockings were hung by the window with care,
I had nothing to do, so there was time to spare. 

My feet were all netsled and snug in their socks,
while a present was wrapped on the floor in a box. 
And Tyler in his classroom, and I on a mission,
to find something to watch on our television. 

When then in the kitchen there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the couch to see what was the matter. 
Away to the sinks I followed the sound,
Thinking there would be nothing in there to be found.

The spoon by the sink from our dinner ago,
Was nowhere to be found in the abyss below.
When, what to my terrified eye should appear,
But a rising black water, that was stinky and queer.

My eyes, how they watered! My feet, how they scurried!
To call up the maintenance crew in a hurry.
As I drew in my breath and was dialing the phone,
There wasn't an answer, and I was alone!

The lip of a cup I held tight in my grip,
Scooping water from the sink and trying not to drip.
As it continued to rise, I was losing all patience,
When all of the sudden, I finally heard maintenance!

They spoke very few words and went straight to their work;
Unclogging the sinks and then turned with a jerk.
He asked if I'd touched any water in the cup,
Because my nails would turn brown and start to curl up!

He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old help,
And when he told me that news, I wanted to yelp.
The black, smelly, water no longer was dripping;
And his words of advice for my nails was "keep clipping!"

He sprang to his truck, to his team gave a wave,
And away they all drove, and the day they did save.
And they heard me exclaim, as they drove out of sight:
"You can bet I'll be cleaning my apartment tonight!"

2 comments: